We desire to bequest two things to our children-- the first one is roots; the other one is wings. (Sudanese Proverb) Image by Rebecca Thom, Lake Tanganyika, 2010

Sunday

Greet Me







I am an elder

and my skin folds

into weathered creases,

scars tell stories of manhood rites

take my tired feet

look into my eyes

orbed with faded blue

Greet me

I will smile

and for a moment our souls will meet in time.


I have been working in the shamba

digging the earth’s crust

with my hoe,

worrying about the rains

and the meal I will cook for

for my five children

after walking home along this dusty path

Greet me

I will smile

and for a moment I will forget.


I have been at school all day

sharing my desk with two others

copying notes from the board

heeding my teacher’s unmelodious lecture

wearing my uniform of blue and white

embroidered with the motto

“School is light”

Greet me

I will smile

and say ‘Good Morning!’

[Even if it is afternoon]


I am a Muslim

have been at the mosque

where I pray dutifully

to Almighty God

The divine, the merciful

for whom I wear this black burqa

and a downward glance,

Greet me

I will smile

with my eyes


I am Massai

these are my herds

eating the tattered grass

while I stand tall

in my garbs of royal purple and red

leaning on my stick

with poise

Greet me

I will smile

a teethless, proud grin


I am a fisherman

sitting beneath my hat

in my canoe

once carved from a tree

I work by darkness

slowly pulling in my livelihood

on a line

Greet me

I will smile

and show you my scaled treasures


I am a cripple

sitting in a chair

peddling wheels with my hands

sweating in the hot sun

I am lucky to have

all that I do

look at me as a man

Greet me

I will smile

and laugh! You do not need to pity me!


I am a woman

dressed in vibrant colours

that sway with my walk

a crown of fabric

halos my head

held high

You are a stranger in my town

Greet me

I will smile

and we will be better acquainted

Greet me, sister

and we will be better acquainted.



-Pictures and words by me.



No comments:

Post a Comment